After two years of establishing a holistic clinic in San Sebastian Rio Hondo, Oaxaca, a lot of learning, a lot of animals and a lot of amazing challenges, I realised that the role of veterinary surgeons, as important as it is, is secondary to the Basics of life - a good diet, comfortable housing, a space to exhibit natural behaviours and calm, positive management.
'Campesinos' - people of the countryside in Oaxaca (and internationally) work very much on a day to day basis, from the heart and practically. If you don't live it through action, you justifiably do not warrant respect or trust.
Also, there are many basic health issues with the adults and children - the solution has to be integral and multifaceted.
I now believe that working on these factors in a sincere and sustainable way is one of the few ways to produce a strong impact in the world of animal, human and environmental welfare.
A Demonstration Farm is being started together with two local Zapotec families here in San Sebastian Rio Hondo, complete with:
- Goats, chickens, rabbits and bees
- Organic cultivation of vegetables and fruit
- Organic cultivation and rescue of native grains - amaranth, alfalfa, brown oats
- Organic cultivation of medicinal plants, and preservation of existing wild plant borders
- Sustainable technology where possible - grey water system, traditional earth and wood construction, solar/water/wind power, canal based irrigation
- Herbal/veterinary clinic
It is estimated to take about 2 years to gain a basic site, and from there the plan is to conduct
- Connected workshops with local schools
- Workshops for animal owners on animal housing, nutrition and management
- Nutritional workshops and free meals/gettogethers for the local community
- Invitation of experts in the fields of nutrition, welfare and health to give workshops
Longterm, development of an investigation centre for local animal nutrition, welfare and health connecting with UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autonomo de Mexico) is in the pipeline..
But one step at a time...photos to follow...
To read about the development of these ideas in more depth, check out the Think Tank.